Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ode to my enemy

Hi all,
          I suddenly thought of her. I have exhanged hellos at 3rd language, despite not being in the same class. Does this sound a little Romeo-Juliet-ish? I hope its the Montague-Capulet enmity part, cause that's all. We didn't become friendly with each other because of our son's/daughter's death respectively, though.
          But enough of this Shakespeare allegories. Who is this "she" I'm referring to? Due to the extreme pervasiveness of the internet, I shall decline to comment upon her name. All you need to know, is that she has been the bane of my academic life, haunting my marks as I grew. 
          It wasn't hate at first sight though. The day which I came to know her was when I was Primary 1, seeing her two places in front of me during End-Of-Year Prize Giving. She was 2nd, I was 4th in the level. At that period of time, she was an unknown genius, together with the then 1st in level. Between the two of them, the top in subjects were distributed evenly. In P2, when we became together, she eventually became a familiar sight, and to the then innocent and young me, she was a competitor I had to win. Masculinity and chauvinism were abstract concepts, it was the joy in beating her that I wanted. I didn't, and as she remained 2nd, I was 9th. 
          In Primary 3, we were in the same class, and then substantially raised our competitiveness. There were of course others, but the two of us were always at the front, always attempting to throttle the other. We both got into GEP, but as she clutched on to her 2nd, I plunged into the mire of 15th. In Primary 4, we were both newbies to our primary school. Unfamiliarity, however, did not bond us, and so didn't the fact that we had to coexist in the same class. I like to think that it was our driving force, and that propelled us to fight for glory. I have no idea if Infatuation's arrival and its subsequent handiwork between me and another girl was a curse or a boon, but I knew it was what led me to my 10th in level, with her being 3rd. Breakups do tend to have an effect on you, after all.
          Primary 5 was our dream year, and I distantly remember it being one of the best years of my life. Not only was it the fact that I had fallen to Infatuation, not only was it the fact that I was able to flirt, shamelessly then, at arguably the most romantic place in China, but also the fact that I was 3rd in class, and she, being in the same class as me, wasn't. She had been infatuated too, but hers was on its way to love. Primary 6 was my trump year. What else could one ask for? Power as a Vice Head, good friends with the girl who charmed me two years back, 2nd then 1st in level...She, however, had lost her grip on the positions, and while I did not gloat, I was still proud. Proud for defeating her, proud that I had risen. I always think that it was her breakup that secured my high position, and I always pity her. In our final, best battle yet, I had a higher PSLE score then her, and with that, we parted ways.
          Now, I hear she's doing well, along with many other friends/frienemies(friend-enemies) of mine. Though I most likely won't have her chance to compete with her once more, but still, enemies then, friends now. Hats off to you, my friend-enemy!
          Few songs before I end off, certain songs that quite fit parts of this story. Terry Jackson's Seasons In the Sun (the first verse) and Yael Naim's New Soul seem particularly fitting. Maybe a quick video montage of Yesteday Once More, by the Carpenters. Till another time, adios, and I apologise for the really long post.







Cheers,
Darrel

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I friggin' bet that she is Lea!

May 21, 2009 at 6:32 AM

 
Blogger powell_sia said...

Well isn't that too OBVIOUS?!

June 9, 2009 at 8:04 AM

 
Blogger Pinus said...

Actually, I had the same experience for the first 3 years, a less intense battle since that person and I were sort of lower standard than you and Lea.

And it was so lucky she didn't get into GEP (I guessed my way into GEP for English)(I dont mind about the comparison of our score now, btw). Otherwise I would be having great headaches about people's rumours (with reference to classmates telling me about you and Lea) because I was very very very extremely extremely..... competitive then. Stupid, right?

And the word 'allegories' in second paragraph sort of hints something.

July 28, 2009 at 3:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home