Thursday, April 30, 2009

Memory...all alone in the sunlight...

Hi all,
Due to the very important fact that I didn't get a closer to perfect full marks (no offence, han Wei), from now on, I shall be labelling each blog post I want to be considered as ACE as, erm, ACE. And maybe something else too, an example being this post. Furthermore, in the words of my P6 Science teacher, to make it idiot-proof and moron-proof, the only posts from now on are, well, ACE posts. 
Anyway, as I was saying, memory. It's sort of lucky I don't have to force myself to think about how I should go about doing this blog topic, as I trust many are doing now. Instead, I can just start typing, cause my memory was very strongly triggered as I walked past the B block and looked up.
Day 1:
He stepped out of the car. Being only 6.40, the whole school was shrouded in darkness.Nearly, the whole school, that is. As he stepped out, the first thing that greeted him was the amazing clock tower. During the Open House talks, he had heard so much about how this tall, majestic tower would light up with an amazing glow. And here it was! 
Soon, however, he found stares shooting towards him for standing there and staring at the clock tower like Romeo would Juliet. Blushing and hastily crossing the road, he quickly sat down at the row for his class in his position, or where he thought was his position at any rate. 
A great number of unfamiliar faces sat down next to him. Searching for familiar ones, he soon found Ernest and the two of them sat together, coming to this large, untrodden territory as part of it for the first time. Apart from the fact that they were from the same primry school, they also had another similarity - they knew one person each who were very close to them. Ernest had a Sec 2 brother here, while he had a Sec 3 friend who had been as close as brothers. Whatever it was, the two of them huddled together, one of the many twin-pillars who had formed to withstand the winds of change and unfamilarity.
The school song and the national anthem were sung with great pride as the school band played, and as the Sec 1s' tongues hesitantly rolled over the lyrics of this melodious song, it was due to respect for the school rules and tradition, and that was all. Few understood the meaning, to everyone, it was just another song to be sung. Everyone then was feeling sad from leaving, nervous from the unfamilarity and the sheer size of the school, awkward from the large number of unfamiliar people they were with.
Day 119:
He stood in front of the clock tower now, pondering. He had just finished the soccer match between his class and the Sec 2's and though the scoreline was a fascinating 11-2 to the Sec 2's, his mind was off. He remembered himself staring at the clock tower 118 days ago, then shocked, stunned, amazed, awkward. Now, here he was, winner of one prize, participant of quite some competitions, and already settling to the busy pace of the typical student. 
What surrounded him now, usually, was a set of familiar faces, either as friends or as routine. He knew now that every Friday, the Library would be especially busy with Library club members, he knew now that NPCC and NCC would be tucked in at the multi-storey carpark or the area near it, he now knew that the Clock Tower, though a National Monument, was still commonly used, with him becoming one of the common users, he now knew that because of the fact that the land his school was on was hill-like, therefore the flooring system was a little weird, where the third floor seemed like the first floor. 
"Hey, what you doing! You don't want go back and eat lunch is it! Not hungry ah?" His friend's calls dragged him out of memory lane. Striding towards his friends, he glanced back. No more did the nervousness, the shock, the awkwardness exist. What did exist, was the shock and admiration for the school's strength, and a strong, deep, true love for the school.

Yeah, that's all. I know it's very flashback-ish, but to prevent any misunderstandings (no offence once again, Han Wei). I hope it's OK.

Cheers,
Darrel

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger C'est la Vie said...

Daylight
See the dew on the sunflower
And a rose that is fading
Roses whither away
Like the sunflower
I yearn to turn my face to the dawn
I am waiting for the day . . .

Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every streetlamp
Seems to beat a fatalistic warning
Someone mutters
And the streetlamp gutters
And soon it will be morning

Daylight
I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I musn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin

Burnt out ends of smoky days
The stale cold smell of morning
The streetlamp dies, another night is over
Another day is dawning

Touch me
It's so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun
If you touch me
You'll understand what happiness is

Look
A new day has begun

May 2, 2009 at 10:35 PM

 
Blogger Matthew said...

Hey Darrel, I will be commenting here.
I guess we all go through the same phase in life when everything seems to flash by us so fast. When we see something that triggers our sudden memory, we think of all the good times we previously had and unfortunately, we are always pulled back into reality one way or another, unable to savour that memory to its full extent. Either way, it is the future we must look forward to. It is the future we must anticipate. It is the future for which we must prepare for.

Hope that is is more than 50 words,
Matthew, your friend

May 7, 2009 at 2:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home