Monday, August 3, 2009

Thoughts of an Immigrant - A musical expression

Hi all,
Did I ever mention that I went to China during the June holidays? It was basically for my paternal grandfather to meet up with his relatives in China and also for me to learn more about them. My main purpose here is to give a really brief introduction to three English songs that I feel really describe the feelings of my grandfather well, one when he just left, possibly around 4++ months, one when he was homesick, possibly around 3++ years, and wanted to come back, and one when he was about to come back.

I do not believe that any of you are familiar with the first one, for the really simple reason that it's a really really old song. "500 miles" by the Brothers Four appeared to be quite famous in the 1960's (I can't seem to get a lot of information on this song, possibly because they're not that famous). Get the lyrics from here , but the essential meaning is about an immigrant who has left his hometown and friends and relatives a long long distance away, and can only come back when he is rich enough to do so. Lovely song and lovely lyrics. Enjoy the video!


The next song is a lot more recent, and sung by a man commented on as a Frank Sinatra wannabe. This 2005 hit "Home" by Michael Buble is really delightful, and it's written like a husband's writing to his wife. The essential message: is I miss you a lot, and I can't stand it any longer, so I'll be coming home soon, baby. When you watch the Michael Buble official MV, you find it untouching and very Michael-Buble centred, so I chose the Westlife video, where singing part is slightly changed, but the video is a lot more touching. Watch the video. It'll make you wanna cry if you put yourself in the people shown in the video's shoes.


The last song is really recent, and I believe a lot of introduction isn't necessary to Daniel Powter's "Next Plane Home". Essentially, this person greatly misses his "you" in the song, and he'll be on the next plane home. Here, we can take "you" to be friends and relatives. Apparently they've removed the original MV of the song, so I'll have to use the one where he's performing it somewhere live. Enjoy the music.


Cheers,
Darrel

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home